Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

Our dog had a fatty tumor removed from his left side above

Our dog had a fatty tumor removed from his left side above his ribcage on Friday (approximately 48 hours ago). A penrose drain was inserted. After the first 24 hours, the drainage had stopped. Sometime this morning, he managed to d/c the drain. The wound is clean, does not appear to be oozing and the surrounding area is not particularly swollen or sensitive. Should we take him to the emergency vet or can this wait until tomorrow when he can see his regular vet? The drain was scheduled to be d/c'd on Tuesday.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Titan.

Well, two ways to look at this. Ideally, the drain should stay in for about 3 days. But! this was not an infected wound or a type of surgery we were expecting for there to be persistent drainage. So, that's good.
Also good, that you observed less drainage after about 24 hours.

Next point. Even though the drain is out, the hole should not have already healed. So, make sure to keep the hole a bit opened and clean of crusts by cleaning with hydrogen peroxide.

Lastly, let's pretend you did go back in to the ER today. What will they do? It would be extremely unlikely that they would go out of their way to sedate Titan just to put a drain back in!

So, my recommendation:
1. Of course, it would be nice if you could go into any open vet just to have the area examined to be safe.
2. But, I would be doubtful that there is anyone who will replace the drain or that it needs to be replaced.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Jay,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Titan. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Titan saw his regular vet yesterday. There was a bit more fluid, which the vet expressed without any problem. Your advice was spot-on. Thank you again!
Great. Happy to hear it Jay.

Click my link and bookmark it, so you can return for future questions when needed.