Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 8.5 year old golden retriever ate a whole corn on the cob

My 8.5 year old golden retriever ate a whole corn on the cob with some of the husk. What do I do?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Zoe.
Well, it greatly!! depends on how well she chewed up the pieces.

if chewed up enough, it may all be able to pass through the gastrointestinal tract without complication.

If there is a large fragment, there is concern for obstruction in stomach or intestinal passage.

How long? it could be up to 24 hours, although complications including vomiting could start far sooner, in 2-12 hours.

If there was to be any vomiting, even once, I would go to a ER vet for evaluation, including abdominal x-rays to understand what is present and where.

Another option....go to the ER vet now for some abdominal x-rays. If a large piece, it will likely be visible. May help to determine if it can be removed by endoscope, surgery, or if needs to be removed at all.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The closest emergency vet doesn't have a surgeon on duty. They told me to take her to one and hour away if she vomits, has diahrrea or shows signs of discomfort. I take your point about x-rays now, but will it

endanger her if I wait for symptoms to develop? I didn't see her eat it so I don't know how well she chewed it.

Also, she hadn't eaten dinner yet. What do I do about feeding her? What about water? Pepcid? or will it mask symptoms.

I would not feed her. We don't want her full of food if an obstruction were to occur. I would wait on feeding her until at least tomorrow morning.

Pepcid? No antacid. She is not nauseated, and if anything, we want the stomach acids working to digest what she has ingested (albeit, corn isn't very digestible anyway).

I actually wouldn't do anything any differently if unable to go to a local ER.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you.
Hi Mary,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zoe. How is everything going?