Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

I have a 7 year old female long hair mini Dixie. The last 2

I have a 7 year old female long hair mini Dixie. The last 2 months she has this weird twitch. Every now an then she moves her head to the left, sometimes she will make a very soft wine. It does not last very long maybe 10secs if that. I'm at a lost about what if could be. She still acts the same, I'm worried about what it could be.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate from UC Davis, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Bug. tough question, since the symptoms don't point really to a specific condition.

Some dogs with a twitch or muscular tremors can be due to endocrine conditions like Addison's. But, this doesn't really fit for that.

Being a doxie, I would be highly suspicious for a injury in the neck! Now, it doesn't have to be a complete disc herniation, but certainly could be some neck vertebrae problem or other soft tissue injury like a spasm. That's my best guess just becuase Bug is a doxie.

It could even be a old injury that she recently reinjured.

So, not confident x-rays are necessary, but worth a vet visit to get some pain medication and/or anti-inflammatory therapy just to see if helpful. if helpful, they we know for sure there are some changes in the neck or elsewhere that are causing some discomfort.

That's where I would start.

Hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Prior to leaving a feedback rating, which I greatly appreciate, my goal is to provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Brittany,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bug. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is doing well, thank you. Going to get her to the vet soon.