Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

Our dog has been sick for 3 weeks now. She isnt eating much,

Customer Question

Our dog has been sick for 3 weeks now. She isn't eating much, has diarrhea, and a very inflamed genital area that she will not stop licking. She is having accidents in the house and when/wherever she eliminates she goes in several small spurts which is unusual. She was on 2 antibiotics for 2 weeks but the problem is not improving. Thoughts?

Age: 5
Breed: Beagle/XXXXX XXXXX Terrier mix

I should also mention that when she was 2 she had extensive surgery because of a complication from her spay that resulted in the removal of 75% of her intestines. Until recently though she has been healthy other than having difficulty maintaining weight.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Camille

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not yet have an answer. I would like to keep waiting to see if someone can help. Thanks.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Camille

Expert:  Theresa replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I have a few questions that may help us come to an answer.

Has she always had diarrhea or loose stools?
Has there been any bloodwork run and when?

Does she eat table scraps?

Any recent changes in food?

When she was spayed did she have her ovaries removed?

Did the vet perform a cytology of the vulva? Is there any discharge?

Has she been scooting?

Any allergies, itching?

Is she on any other medications?

Thank you
Theresa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She has always had loose stools, but this was worse than normal (to be grossly specific it is completely watery now instead of a semi-solid consistency). No recent changes to food. As of late we have been alternating rice/chicken/sweet potato and rice/ground beef/sweet potato because it is all we can get her to eat regularly to maintain her weight.

She had bloodwork done at the last vet appointment a few weeks ago, but we didn't hear that there was a problem. She doesn't have allergies, itching, or scooting.

They did remove her ovaries and they did not do a cytology. She had discharge both (bloody and clear but thick) the first week but that went away with the antibiotics.

No other meds.

Thanks.

Expert:  Theresa replied 1 year ago.
With her mixture of symptoms one has to wonder if there may actually two separate issues here. For the vulva, it can be an allergy but I would have a urine culture performed as well to rule out a urinary tract infection and if this is clear a cytology of the skin and discharge if present. It is possible that a urinary tract infection is still an issue but the vulva can also be irritated due to the diarrhea and contact with the vulva. One thing with female dogs is that the way they were made actually increases their risk of bladder infection and secondary vulvar infection because of diarrhea and feces bacteria being able to enter that area easily.

However, we need to get this diarrhea under control as well. It would be recommended at this point to have an abdominal ultrasound performed preferably by a specialist in internal medicine considering her special case. They will be able to rule out many causes and narrow things down to hopefully just one or two. Possibilities here: inflammatory bowel disease, food allergy, pancreatitis, short bowel syndrome (which she already has of course), maldigestion disorder, or other intestinal causes.

I would have your vet repeat a blood panel and request a CPL, folate, and B12, fecal parasite examination and a urinalysis before scheduling an appointment with an internal medicine specialist. If your vet is well versed in ultrasound then by all means he/she should do it and save you in cost.

To help bulk up the stool I would add metamucil to her food. I also recommend a probiotic which your vet should carry. You might also want to talk to your vet about supplementing her diet with vitamins because she is likely losing a lot of them in her stools because she doesn't have enough intestines to absorb them.

I wish I could give definitives but further diagnostics are definitely going to be needed.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience: 19+ years experience in small animal medicine
Expert:  Theresa replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I was just inquiring as to how your girl is feeling.