Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

My dog cant walk legs are weak hind legs

My dog can't walk legs are weak hind legs
Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 12 year old Cocker. How long has this been going on for please? Has your Vet taken xrays? Can your boy get up and walk around at all?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Dr Edwards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not sure if the steroids did something or not seems like when we got off this happen
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes he will walk a bit then go own ill use a strap to help him
Hi again,

Thanks for the extra info regarding your boy. Given this wasn't an issue when he was on the steroids (for his cough), it is likely your boy has bad hindlimb arthritis (in his hips, knees and/or hocks), or he could even have spinal arthritis or a partially slipped intervertebral disc. It is likely that the steroids were also settling inflammation in his hindlegs during the treatment for his cough, and that now he is off the steroids, inflammation has recurred.

Of course this is just speculation without further diagnostics such as an xray, but give your boy's symptoms, breed and age - this is very likely. For now, continue to use a sling to help him to get about. You can use a rolled up soft towel under his abdomen for this (to help support his hindlegs), or you can purchase a canine sling for this very purpose online (here for example:

I would definitely recommend a visit to your Vet tomorrow if you can, as it is more than likely Red is painful in his back legs as well as being weak and wobbly. Your Vet may want to undertake a couple of xrays to get an idea of the underlying cause for this weakness, or it may be decided that because of his age, a treatment trial with some anti inflammatories is the best way to go. There are a range of drugs that could help Red depending on the diagnosis including anything from simple anti inflammatories (if a blood test confirms his liver and kidney function are ok), or drugs like gabapentin or tramadol.

Best of luck with your boy and until you can get him seen, continue to support his back end so that he doesn't scuff his back paws or cause any further damage. Let me know how you get on won't you.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help
No problem and best of luck with Red.

Kind Regards,

Dr E