Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.

What are symptoms of mercury poisoning in dogs

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in canine health. I hope your dog is not having a problem. Symptoms of mercury poisoning vary, depending on how much was ingested and whether the exposure was over time, or all at once. however, all cases are serious. In mild cases, you may see bleeding gums, excessive salivation, sores in the mouth, and dizziness.

In more severe cases, there will be neurological symptoms, such as in-coordination or seizures. Kidney failure, digestive system problems, and heart problems also occur. Mercury poisoning can be fatal. You can read more about mercury poisoning here:

If your dog has ingested mercury, slept somewhere where he was exposed, or come into contact with it in some other way, it is important to quickly take him to your vet. If you have more questions, just let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your dog is fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what are the testing methods to determine mercury in dogs?

Usually, mercury poisoning is diagnosed based on symptoms and evidence of exposure. If you know your dog was exposed, you would tell your vet all about it, and explain the symptoms. In cases of massive exposure, blood and urine tests can reveal mercury, but these tests aren't useful for small amounts.

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your dog. Did you get a certain diagnosis? I hope he/she is fine.