Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Dog ate 1/2 a corn cob at about 830PM last night. We got him

Customer Question

Dog ate 1/2 a corn cob at about 830PM last night. We got him to vomit at about 930, but we don't think all the cob came out (looked like half). He is lethargic today, ate only a bit and vomited it. But he just did a poop at 11AM, with no evidence of cob in it. So we think the poop has to be before the cob (pretty sure he didn't eat anything since). Have vet appointment in 4 hours. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.

Dr Z :

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Dr Z :

Did Mikey chew up the cob or did he eat it whole?

Customer :

he seems to have chewed it somewhat, based on what was in the vomit

Customer :

we didn't see him till it was too late

Dr Z :

That is good. There is a chance that everything will pass just fine or that if it is in smaller pieces it will digest some before it passes.

Dr Z :

The lethargy and vomiting may be due to a gastritis or upset GI system due to eating something that he wasn't used to.

Dr Z :

Of course, we do need to worry about a possible obstruction. If you vet xrays him, they will be better able to identify if that is the case.

Customer :

We tried to get him to vomit with hydrogen peroxide, but were afraid of giving too much as we think we used the recommended dose

Customer :

thus, we gave him a spoon of salt on the back of the tongue , which made him vomit

Customer :

maybe that explains his behavior today?

Dr Z :

That could be part of his behavior today as well. With peroxide, it is possible to have irritation of the stomach or esophagus due after using.

Dr Z :

How much peroxide did you use?

Customer :

if obstructed, do they have to operate?

Customer :

Hard to estimate on the peroxide as he was resisting. I would say 4-5 teaspoons for a 55 lb dog

Dr Z :

In most cases, if there is an obstruction, depending on where it is in the GI tract, surgery is often indicated. If it is higher up in the GI tract (stomach or upper small intestine) sometimes things can be removed with a scope.

Dr Z :

That dose should be OK. In general, the dose is approx 1 ml per pound up to 45 ml maximum. A teaspoon is 5 ml so that would be fine.

Customer :

Should we try to entice him to eat (i.e., by giving things he likes like chicken broth on the food)

Customer :

or peanut butter

Dr Z :

No, the best you can do is to fast him until he is seen. If his stomach is just upset, the fast will allow it to settle down. If there is an obstruction and you feed him, he will likely just vomit anyway. Feeding him will not help move an obstruction through. If it is going to move, it will move on it's own. Giving him water in small amounts at a time is fine or ice chips.

Customer :

okay, any other suggestions?

Dr Z :

If he is no longer vomitng, it would be OK to give a dose of pepcid AC (famotidine) to help with gastric acid.

0.5 mg per pound of body weight once daily.

Dr Z :

So for a 55 lb dog, I would give a 20 mg tab.

Customer :

ok, thanks!

Dr Z :

Is there anything else I can answer for you today?

Customer :

Nope, that's it

Dr Z :

Great. Good luck today with him at the vet office. Please keep me posted as to how things progress.

Dr Z :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z