petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

what kind of allergy would cause snorting attach?

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Gismo today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

It is very possible for dogs to have airborne allergies just like people with hay fever. Is he inhaling or exhaling when he does this snorting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.

Some dogs will sneeze and snort while other dogs will exhibit a symptom called a reverse sneeze (which is inhaling). They do this because of post-nasal drip in the back of their throat leading to itch and irritation.

I would not continue with the aspirin, as it not really a problem that will respond to that. It would be ok to give a dose of non-prescription Benadryl. The dose is 1-2 mg per pound that your dog weighs so a 20 lb dog would get between 20 to 40 mg. This can be repeated two to three times per day. The pill that is available over the counter is typically 25 mg. so you may need to go with the children's liquid form which is typically 12.5 mg/teaspoon (or 2.5 mg/cc). Make sure that there are no other "cold-type" medications in it like decongestants.

If that is not working, your vet can prescribe a different antihistamine that may be more effective, but the benedryl usually works well for most.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much!... I really appreciate the information..

Connie & gismo

You are very welcome. I hope Gismo is more comfortable soon. My own dog is having a particularly hard time with reverse sneezing this year.

Thank you kindly for the positive rating and the bonus. It is truly appreciated.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gismo. How is everything going?

Dr Z