Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  29 years of companion animal practice.

My 11 year old dog has a swollen vulva, it is discolored has

Customer Question

My 11 year old dog has a swollen vulva and her anus, it is discolored has purplish color, has an odor and looks like a discharge that is brownish/black. She has very soft stools. She is drinking but not eating much. She is laying down gently and favoring one side. I took her to the vet a few weeks ago for this, she has other skin issues that the vet is concerned that she has auto immune issues and wants to do test for that, didn't seem concerned about vulva. She has same discharge from her ear, which was tested as a bacteria. She has been on medication for this for over a year and it gets better but comes back. She is on predisone.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,.

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.

I need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your responses, it will likely take 30-40 minutes to type my response. I hope you can be patient.

.

Is your dog spayed?

Is she vomiting at all?

If not spayed, how long since her last heat cycle?

What breed is she?

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jane,

She is swollen in the anus also, same discharge of brownish/black as vulva area and from ears. Vulva is more swollen on one side than the other.

She is spayed. No vomiting. She is a collie.

Thanks,

Becky

Becky,
.
I'm going to have opt out of your question as I feel another expert might be a better choice fo answer this question. Please do not respond as it will stop other experts from seeing the question and answering. I hope you will not rate me poorly for trying to find you a better expert to supply your answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello Becky,
I am sorry to hear about Libby.

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.

I am concerned about Libby's age, and that she is not eating. Have any blood tests been done on her recently?

The swollen anus and vulva could be signs of autoimmune disease. You should see improvement with the prednisone, in autoimmune disease. How much does she weigh, and how much prednisone does she get?

The other possibility is a yeast infection. Yeast infections can affect ear, and the vulva.

If she were my own dog, I would do a rectal exam, to really feel the anus and anal glands. I would look at some of this dark discharge under a microscope, and if any yeast is seen, start her on medication for a yeast infection. Since she is not eating well, and is 11 years old, I would do a basic blood panel if that has not been done recently.

Please let me know what else I can answer, or help you with.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I will be going off line for the night. I will check in first thing tomorrow to see if you have any more questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Rebecca,

She has had a blood panel done and everything looked fine. Vet has already tested the ears for yeast and came back negative, it is a bacteria. She has been treated for this infection for over a year and has been put under to clean out the ear. Predinsone (10mg once a day) has helped with limping and other skin issues and seems to keep the ear infection from getting worse. Sounds like the swelling is from autoimmune disease?

Becky

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Becky,
Autoimmune disease is one possibility. You need to do a biopsy to identify autoimmune disease. The treat would be either prednisone, and if that did not work, other immunosuppressive drugs such as cyclosporine.

A yeast infection is still a possibility, as is a bacterial infection.

Until you get a biopsy or a definitive diagnosis, you could try using topical steroid ointment on the anus and vulva, such as Cortaid, combined with an antibiotics like Neosporin to see if that helps.

Please let me know what else I can help with, or answer.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 29 years of companion animal practice.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the excellent rating! I hope Libby is doing better.