Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

my chihuahua/beagle dog has some pinkish/red bumps on her belly,

my chihuahua/beagle dog has some pinkish/red bumps on her belly, under her arm pits and on her neck. What are they?
Hi Sir or Madam,.

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your responses, it will likely take 30-40 minutes to type my response. I hope you can be patient.

How old is your puppy?

How long have you had your puppy?

Have you switched dog foods recently?

Have there been other changes in the pups environment?

Any hair loss?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
wont let me respond to the questions she is asking me
That came through fine. Try to respond again and I'll inform customer service if I don't see a response come through.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is 11 months and we've had her since birth. We did change their hard food. No other changes in environment.

Thank you,

Thanks. Just so you know your responses came through. I'll answer now. It will take me a little while to type up the response.
One possible cause is an allergy condition. Allergies in dogs are like ones in humans. They can be allergic to any number of things. Since you changed the food, that is a possible cause. Compare the ingredients in the old food to the ones in the new and you might find what ingredient might be causing the reaction if it is the food switch. If you notice one item different such as switching from Lamb to Chicken then switch foods to one that contains the same basic ingredients as the previous food. It can take 6 weeks or longer before you see improvement after swtiching foods though.

Then there might be a skin condition such as staph dermatitis or yeast dermatitis. These skin conditions are generally seen with allergies. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet.

Now if the bumps are very recent, then it may be a direct allergic reaction in which case, benadryl may help eliminate the symptoms until the allergen is no longer present. Benadryl can be given to your dog and the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours for itching and other symptoms due to allergies.

You can read about allergies here:

If you don't see any improvement pretty quickly with the benadryl, I'd have it looked at by your vet in case an antibiotic is needed.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?