Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

Help Please

Customer Question

my dog has been diagnose with high liver enzymes a little over a month the vet said the normal is 120 and he was 140... I have been giving him denamarin till last week because it was done.... well this past Monday my dog had another blood work to see if the enzymes were lowered... next day around noon my vet calls me and told me the wonderful news that my dogs enzymes levels were normal, I was very happy to know that my dog was finally better... well this morning the vet calls me and tells me that the lab results were wrong and that he needed to re- test tomorrow...... my question is, can a lab test we wrong ?? and how do I know that the vet is not laying?? can I ask for any proof about the results been wrong????... I am really worried because I have been spending a lot of money and I don't see that my dog is getting any better based on the lab tests done before but again I don't see my dog acting like he is sick..... how do I know if the vet is laying to me or not >???? can I ask for proof of past blood work???..... and what are the chances that a lab result can be wrong?? I will appreciate your help thank you!!

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.

Drew :

Hello, thanks for your question today! I am Dr. Drew, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I'll be happy to help you in any way I can.

Drew :

certainly, lab results can be wrong,

Drew :

as they are dependent on many factors, including handling of the samples, maintenance of the equipment, and operator training / errors.

Drew :

If you have doubts about what your vet is telling you, the best suggestion is to ask for a copy of the results, and have him show you which levels are abnormal.

Drew :

Then, you can go to another veterinary clinic and have those levels checked, to see how their data compares.

Drew :

if the numbers are essentially equivalent, then you can have faith that your veterinarian is not steering you wrong.

Drew :

also, if the lab made an error, they should re run the new sample at no cost to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what about the enzyme levels he said his levels are 140 and the normal level is 120 ....... I am very confused

Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 1 year ago.
Those are extremely mild elevations, not indicative of a need for treatment in most cases.