petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.

Hello, I have two dogs that have fallen behind on their vaccination

Hello, I have two dogs that have fallen behind on their vaccination -- they are scheduled today to be vaccinated. At the same time, there is also a dog at our local humane society that is on the urgent list that I would really love to adopt. It was one of the pets that was found after the explosion in the town of West, TX and looks very much like a dog that I had as a child. It has been at the Humane society for 2 months and she received her DHPP upon intake so she is completely immunized against those diseases. I am told that she is healthy. Could you advise on any issues that I should be concerned with in adopting her?
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pets today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

The biggest concern is that we are unsure of what type of care she had before she was picked up. Hopefully she was well taken care of and on a good preventative care routine, but since we don't know, we have to assume that perhaps she wasn't.

A thorough physical exam will help to rule out any skin conditions due to external parasites (fleas, ticks, etc). If she is cleared of that, the next step would be internal parasites. This would include intestinal worms and heartworm. A routine stool sample will reveal eggs from the common worms, like round and hook worm, but other worms are harder to document at times and so it is a good idea to deworm for all worms including tapeworms.

A heartworm test should be performed now and if in a area with year round potential for heartworm infection, I would have the test repeated in 4 months. Remember that it can take up to 6 months after the mosquito bite for a positive to show up on a heartworm test, so just because she may be negative now, doesn't mean she can't have an infection that is not showing up yet. This is not contagious to your dogs, but you would want to identify it so that treatment could be started.

As far as other contagious conditions, bordatella or kennel cough is probably then next most common condition noted in dogs coming from shelters. Separate if she is coughing until that resolves, but they may have vaccinated her for that upon admission also.

Good luck with your new addition.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I suppose my biggest concern is canine influenza. My sister adopted a pet from the humane society and it ended up dying along with a couple of her other dogs. What would be the incubation period for canine influenza?

Yes, the signs of influenza in dogs can mimic the signs of bordatella, so if coughing is noted, besides separation, a doctor exam is indicated. The incubation is less than a week and can be as early as two days. Keep in mind that most dogs infected with influenza show only mild and self-limiting symptoms with some exhibiting no symptoms at all. The cases of fatality are very small, but of course, when it is your dogs we are concerned with, even a slight risk is significant.

Here are a few links in regards XXXXX XXXXX in dogs

Please respond if questions still.
Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.
Hi Shannon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Z
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I made an appointment with my veterinarian. She advised me not to foster or adopt a pet from the Humane Society. She explained that although the vaccines do protect, they aren't 100%. She told me that she had seen a lot of respiratory infections from the humane society that were lasting for weeks and also infecting the pets of those who had fostered or adopted. I would love to help those pets, but I can't risk my own.

Thank your for the follow up.

I can understand your concern about risk for your dogs. I always feel that way when I add a new addition. Unfortunately, there is not guarantee they will not bring something into the household no matter where you get them, but all you can do is to try to decrease the risk as much a possible.

Good luck and I hope things go well for you.