Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Hi Dr Lucy- there is a slight chance my 4 month-old puppy (lab

Hi Dr Lucy- there is a slight chance my 4 month-old puppy (lab mix/33 lbs) ingested a single 25 mg tablet of sumatripan. Is this cause for alarm?
Hello and welcome

Dr Lucy is not on-line but I can answer this for you if you wish. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and I will try my best to answer to your question to your satisfaction. However to enable me to do so with accuracy I need a little more information, so before we start can you please answer the following ...

1. How long ago did she swallow this tablet?

Then give me fifteen minutes or so to think things through, prepare an answer, and type things up. I will then get straight back to you and we can talk things over.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Scott. She may have swallowed the tablet about 1 hour ago. I'm still not sure that she actually did swallow it, but that's when I found her running around with the empty wrapper.

Hello again and thanks for the quick reply.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started.

1. If she is acting normally at present then she may not have swallowed it but at this point you still have time to induce vomiting as a precaution. If she has swallowed it then this is the single best thing you could do. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

2. What you should then do is to keep a good eye on your dog and contact a vet without delay if symptoms set in. That was quite a large dose but often after just one ingestion things might not be too bad, here is some more information.

Imitrex { sumatripan } can cause signs of serotonin syndrome (agitation, vocalization, etc.) within a couple of hours after ingestion.

Overdose in animals at higher doses has been fatal and has been associated with convulsions, tremors, paralysis, inactivity, ptosis, erythema of the extremities, abnormal respiration, cyanosis, ataxia, mydriasis, salivation, and lacrimation.

The elimination half-life of sumatriptan (Imitrex) is approximately 2.5 hours and therefore monitoring of { human } patients after overdose with the tablets should continue for at least 12 hours or while symptoms or signs persist.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That was helpful, thanks. She seems to be acting pretty normally as of now-- and no sign of the symptoms you mentioned. Am I correct in assuming that unless I see any of those symptoms, no need to induce vomiting?

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

The problem you face is that you only have one hour or so to induce vomiting after ingestion and this is a drug which would not normally be given to dogs so it is difficult to assess the full risks or how things will go.

I think I would induce vomiting anyway because if symptoms start one hour from now it will be too late ...

That said it is very encouraging indeed that she is acting normally at this point, given that the chances are she will be fine. But it is all a gamble ...

Hi Asa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gogo. How is everything going?

Vet Answers Vet