Dr. Z.
Dr. Z., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My dog, 110lb. American Bulldog, developed small pea sized

My dog, 110lb. American Bulldog, developed small pea sized bumps on face and neck that are Starting to scab and are itchy. He is a very anxious dog, on xanax for anxiety and has severe respiratory problems in the heat or when anxious. He was swimming this weekend for hours in a very clean lake, trying to keep him cool. Could the rash be water related?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Tank today. I am a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

What it sounds like Tank may be experiencing is what is called a pyoderma or a skin infection. These can cause bumps as you describe as well as itch. They are often secondary to underlying allergies in dogs which also can make his skin itch. Having moist skin folds can certainly aggravate things.Dogs can be allergic to various things including environmental allergens, food ingredients and fleas. In young dogs especially, we also have to be concerned with the possibility of mange mites that live in the hair follicles being an underlying factor.

What he needs is an exam by your veterinarian so that these things can be ruled out and the proper medicine may be prescribed. If there is an infection, he will need at least 3 weeks of an oral antibiotic. Many of these dogs will also need a short course of steroid to break the itch cycle in some cases. In cases where the sores are widespread, topical treatments are not usually effective and oral antibiotics are needed.

In the meantime, there are a few things that may help and certainly won't hurt. An antiseptic shampoo from the pet store can decrease the bacteria and yeast if they are present. I like the product called Hexedene® because it contains chlorhexidine which is effective on bacteria and yeast. There is also a "leave-on" product called Resi-chlor® with similar ingredients that can be used on the lesions themselves and in some cases, may be all that is needed.Benedryl can be helpful if the problem is allergy only, but as bacteria become involved, antihistamines alone will be less effective.

I hope this is helpful. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Dr Z

Dr. Z., Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Over 25 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
Expert:  Dr. Z. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you kindly for the positive rating. It is truly appreciated.