Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

hi doctor Fiona, My 4 year old maltipoo has been off for the

Customer Question

hi doctor Fiona,
My 4 year old maltipoo has been off for the past while, and im not sure what to do. Usually she is full of energy, and also very anxious in the car. over the past week she has not had energy, and is sleeping majority of the day as well as having diarrhea that started off as just soft poo, and has increasingly gotten wotrse. Yesterday her poo had yellow mucus in it and was still fairly formed. today she has rushed to the back door a few times, clawing to get out and it is all she can do to make it to the grass before it almost explodes out of her, completely liquid and rather orange-yellow.
Some things you may need to know:
1. she is current on all of her shots, and is also on flea preventative
2. she spends everyday with me at my work which is a dog grooming salon, so she is exposed to many dogs every day and although we do require full shots from our clients, you ever know.
3. she hasnt had any diet changes, and only eats chicken strips and liver bites for cookies.
4. she is still drinking water, but will not touch her food
5. over the past 5 or so days she has eaten quite a bit of grass, and been throwing up.
thank you for your help.
Christine (charlie's mom)
Category: Dog
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,

Dr Fiona is unfortunately offline at present and may be so for some little time. My name is Scott and I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today in her stead and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me ten minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over ...

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you scott i appreciate any help you can offer me

Hello again Christine and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think, ... lets get started. I know this may not be what you want to hear but having thought things through I thing it would be best to have a vet check Charlie rather than rely on home remedies.

1. I say this because : While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that she has less interest in food, and is very lethargic and has a dramatic diarrhoea make it possible that she is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of intestinal tract infection.

2. It is highly likely that antibiotics or other prescription drugs will be what is needed if Charlie is indeed running a temperature, but of course you should be aware that other diagnosis are also possible.

3. Having said the above I can tell you that their are a number of home remedies for diarrhoea in the dog which some owners use. You may want to try something along these lines while waiting for your vet's appointment.

A. I am aware that some owners use the likes of Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and often report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

B. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

If she picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, perhaps a teaspoonful twice a day.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if she deteriorates further in any way you should see your vet without delay just to be on the safe side. { Having your dog checked over by a vet would be my specific advice in any case }

Finally here is a link to a very accurate article which covers diarrhoea in the dog in more depth : LINK

I hope I have given you a few ideas and covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you dr scott, i have pepto bismol tablets at home, and am going to try that method first however am not sure how much is ok to give her, shes approx 14.8lbs and the tablets are 262 mg each.

Hello again Christine,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

For a 15 pound dog this would work out at one third of a tablet three times a day.

{ We know that the oral suspensions containing 262 mg per 15 ml and the typical dose rate for this liquid form in dogs is 1ml per pound of the dog's bodyweight as a divided dose given three times a day. So your dog should receive 15 ml of the oral form per day .

However as the tablet is also 262 mg this works out quite well for a 15 pound dog at one third of a tablet three times a day }

Regards,

Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thank you scott, one last thing, is this something i should be worried about with the other dogs at work, as she does come in contact with at least 15 dogs/day. i am wondering if this is something she could have picked up from another dog, and thus able to pass it on?

also- with the pepto bismol, should i be giving her food or do one full day of no food and just pepto bismol? and after that if she doesnt seem to stop throwing up and or vomiting, do you suggest the starving method, or going straight to the vet?

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with your further,

1. I would be a bit careful as regards XXXXX XXXXX dogs at your work place but the chances are it will only be passed on if they come in contact with the diarrhoea not just sniffing her.

However this is your livelihood so you would be best to be as careful as you can and keep her separate until she is better. You do not want any of your clients to think their dogs caught a nasty disease on your premises ...

2. Where a dog has diarrhoea and is otherwise quite bright and happy then home remedies have a much better chance of working but where a dog is also lethargic and not so keen on it's food it would be much better to have a vet check them out without delay just in case.

3. The Pepto Bismol contains salicylates, the active ingredient in aspirin so it is best not given on an empty stomach so it would be best to try the dietary control method without Pepto at least in the initial stage.

Regards,

Scott
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Hello again ,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating and bonus, this is very much appreciated. Dr Fiona is a hard act to follow !

Kindest regards and good luck with Charlie ... ,

Scott
Hello again Christine,

I am just getting back in touch to see how Charlie is getting on.

How are things going with her today?

Regards,

Scott