How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Deb Your Own Question
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 8936
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Deb is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a pregnant dog very close to having puppies who has

This answer was rated:

I have a pregnant dog very close to having puppies who has kennel cough. What antioboitic is safe?
We usually give doxicycline for this. We are a rescue group working with a shelter and want to help this girl!
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.
I'm sorry to hear about this problem with Aurora but you certainly don't want to give her Doxycycline since this drug might cause significant issues with her babies.
Clavamox is an acceptable drug to give a pregnant dog; it will be safe for the pups.
But, as you know, if her condition is secondary to a virus, it will have to run it's course.

I hope this helps and good luck with the delivery. Deb
Dr. Deb and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. We do not seem to have clavamox. We have Cephalexin and amoxicillin. Could either of these be used?

Amoxicillin would be safe but not sure if it would be very effective.
Cephalexin is considered a Class B drug...which means it's "probably" safe. Although no specific studies have been done, no risks have been associated with it's use. You'd want to weigh the benefits versus the potential risks, in other words.
To err on the side of caution, though, I'd give Amoxicillin but wait on giving the Cephalexin.
If she had a life threatening condition like pneumonia, then I'd probably give the Cephalexin if I had no other choice, but that's not the case here. Deb

Related Dog Questions