Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My 13 year old Chihuahua has stopped eating and is loosing

My 13 year old Chihuahua has stopped eating and is loosing weight fast. He is just skin and bones. I have tried everything boiled chicken, mashed steak, scrambled eggs etc. He will eat a small amount one day and then go for days without eating anything. He does drink water. This has been going on for the last 3 weeks. This dog used to have a very healthy appetite. Please advise.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. I'm sorry to hear about Pancho's situation. Have you had him to a vet to have him evaluated for this weight loss? Is he urinating more excessively or drinking more than normal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. He is sleeping a lot and gets up about 4 to 5 times a day to drink water and urinate. I have an appointment with the vet on Thursday. I have noticed that the scelera of his eyes are slightly yellowish.

Ok. This is a situation that has me very concerned. If you are truly seeing a yellow hue to the sclera of his eyes, this is icterus / jaundice. This is an indication that his liver is having serious issues as far as its functioning. When the yellow tint comes up, it is due to bilirubin building up in the body and not being processed out appropriately by the liver. This coupled with the weight loss has me concerned that there is something very serious going on with his liver. I would if at all possible try to get that vet visit for Wednesday if possible. The sooner he's seen and has testing ran (blood work, x-rays, and I would strongly recommend an abdominal ultrasound), then this information can be used to help formulate a therapy plan for him. Could this be something infectious? Could it be some form of cancer? Could it be liver failure? These are considerations that have to be looked at. His body is being greatly taxed at this time and it needs help as soon as possible.