Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.

How long after a bath can I apply advocate spot on to my 2

How long after a bath can I apply advocate spot on to my 2 year old dog? I am travelling on Thursday and I don't want to have to wait 24 hours after application to pet him in that area (my brothers are very forgetful). Also are there any health implications if a dog or human accidentally ingested some of it?

Dr. Scarlett :

Hi there,

Dr. Scarlett :

You should be able to apply it once your dog is dry. I generally recommend applying any topical flea/tick medication at night/bedtime, so it has time to dry and spread over the body by the morning. You are less likely to pet the dog when you are asleep and don't need to worry about it.

Customer: How long should I wait before I pet him after application?
Dr. Scarlett :

I guess it depends on where you are petting him. Not trying to be facetious, but if you spot it on down his back, then you can pet him on his head/neck, stomach, sides etc. Just avoid petting over the wet product.

Customer: I am aware of that, but it is more of an accidental touch(and my sons are prone to do that A LOT).
Dr. Scarlett :

I wouldn't be too concerned about an accidental touch. Have your kids wash their hands well after petting him. I think it would make the most sense to put the Advocate on your dog after your kids go to bed. It should be dry by morning and then you won't need to worry about it at all. If you plan on bathing him tonight, then I would apply it tomorrow night. Unless you have horrible fleas that you are battling, he should be fine for that 24 hour wait.

Customer: I plan to bathe him tomorrow morning and then apply it tomorrow night just before his bedtime, is this ok?Should I avoid petting that area for 24 hours after applying or is overnight sufficient?
Dr. Scarlett :

I think that should be fine. I don't think you need to wait 24 hours before petting him. Overnight should be plenty of time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Scarlett