Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My dog ate a raw chicken wing bone, will he be ok? He is a

My dog ate a raw chicken wing bone, will he be ok? He is a 7kg Cockapoo and is upto my knee height (I am 6 foot).
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 10 months ago.

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. This may or may not be a problem. Chances are good it shouldn't be a problem. With this ingestion of a chicken wing bone, there may be irregular and sharp edges to the bone that may cause more problems if vomiting is attempted. The forceful contractions of the stomach and esophagus during a vomit episode puts the risk there for damaging the esophagus trying to bring it up. So I don't recommend inducing vomiting.

In light of this, a lot of times the decision is made to watch for any of the following signs as time is given to try and let it be digested and pass through the intestinal tract in a normal manner.

Signs of illness to monitor for would include: Vomiting, frequent swallowing, abdominal discomfort / pain, loss of appetite for over 24 hours and in general lethargy / being off. If these are viewed then further evaluation with a physical exam and x-ray are needed to determine what the next step is.

I wouldn't change the diet at this time as diet alterations could cause vomiting and diarrhea. The same diet as usual is recommended.

The fact that it was raw shouldn't be any big issue as far as bacteria on it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

He had it an hour ago, he didnt choke at all and he seems to be acting normally. The chicken bone was covered with raw chicken as well, but Im not worried about this as such.

As long as he keeps acting normally, then that is good! Again, dogs at one point before domestication ate lots of bones like this as they were in the wild fending for themselves for a meal.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Are raw chicken bones a problem if swallowed? I heard from others that it wasnt a problem at all for dogs unlike cooked bones, which splinters and ruins his insides.

The raw chicken bones may or may not be a problem. The chances of them blocking him up / causing an obstruction are pretty unlikely. When I said above that dogs in the past used to eat lots of bones, this is the truth. Wild dogs still commonly forage around and get into chicken coops and eat raw chicken bones and they typically don't have problems with this. But in saying that, could a random bone get stuck? Yes. So that is where you need to be aware of any abdominal pain, vomiting, or loss of appetite as that could indicate this unlikely event.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It was a fairly thin bone as it was a chicken wing bone (not a thigh bone, which can be considered a problem I have heard). When during the cycle could it cause an obstruction?

With eating of any bone, it can get caught in 3 main areas. The esophagus, the stomach, or the intestines. As long as he continues to eat well and not vomit or seem painful, then he should be ok.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My only concern is that I'm travelling in 3 days, hence I won't be able to check him then. When would you say he is in he clear?
If he's not having any issues in the days up till your travel, he should be ok. I would expect a problem if one was to happen to pop up in the next day or two.
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: 13 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?