Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.

My 11 year old shih tzu has the start of kidney disease for

My 11 year old shih tzu has the start of kidney disease for the past 6 months and a couple days ago she started urinating in the house which she never has in her 11 years. I just took her on a walk and noticed her urine has a tinge of blood in it. I have made an appt for her to be seen tomorrow, but is this soon enough or do I need to take her to the emergency vet hospital today?
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.
I'm sorry that Liberty has been diagnosed with kidney disease but glad that she's been managed well for the past six months.
It sounds like she may have a bladder infection although bladder stones or even bladder cancer I'm sad to say can mimic this condition in a dog this age. An infection is more likely than the other conditions but I mention them to be complete.

I wouldn't consider this to be an emergency situation as long as she's active, eating and not lethargic. Some dogs with bladder infections will run mild fevers but not all of them do.

She'll obviously need antibiotics if this is an infection but what you can do for her now would be to encourage fluids to help flush out her bladder.
I would also encourage you to take a urine sample in with you tomorrow when you have her seen but you may already know to do this.

I hope this helps and that she only has a simple bladder infection and nothing more serious. Deb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Because she is seen about every two months by her vet, I know that it is either her kidneys or hopefully a UTI. She is eating, playing, walking fine; but urinating in the middle of the room and can't stop when I tell her no.

If I bring in a urine sample, is there a timeframe that they don't want it to be any older than?

Thank you again, you eased my mind for tonight.

You're welcome:) I'm glad that I could help you....and Liberty, of course! And, thanks so much for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

It's possible that this is her kidney but it sounds more like a bladder infection to me.
The increased frequency and lack of control suggests the latter.

I usually recommend that the first urine of the day be brought in. If your appointment isn't until later in the day and you're not certain if you'll be able to catch one, then just put it in the refrigerator. Obviously, the fresher, the better but a few hours shouldn't make that much of a difference.

Please keep me posted if you have a chance. Even though you've rated, we can still communicate as we have been. I can also send you a follow up email in a few days.

Good luck:) Regards, Deb

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank God for vets as many, my little girl is my child. So thank you very much for taking the worry away.

I am a Nurse and can usually calm a patient down, but when it comes to my dog daughter :) it is very difficult for me to accept her dying.

Thank you again and I will attempe a urine sample in the morning as her appt is at 1030a.

Have a wonderful day!

I know exactly what you mean; when it comes to my own pets and their health issues, all reason goes out the window ...and this is something I'm a little embarrassed to admit!!!

You're so welcome and I'll be hoping for the best for your girl. You have a wonderful day as well:) Deb
I'm just following up on our conversation about Liberty. How's she doing? Deb