Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.

My dog is in a ton of pain, if I gave 50 mg rimadyl this morning

My dog is in a ton of pain, if I gave 50 mg rimadyl this morning can I give him Meloxicam now?

He is 60 lbs - please look at my previous questions to see hsi blood work , etc.

Hi Angela, I'm Dr. Deb. The other expect with whom you were chatting is offline at this time but I can help you.
I did read your previous discussion with her and agree that her advise was excellent.

As to your most recent question, unfortunately, I wouldn't advise you to give Bandit Meloxicam since he received Rimadyl this morning. Both are anti-inflammatory drugs, that is true, but when we change from one non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug to another, we recommend a wash-out period of 3-5 days. We don't recommend switching from one to the other with no time in between. There's an increased risk of side effects when you do this.

I know you're concerned about his pain; if you have Tramadol or Gabapetin, then those are drugs which could safely be given with the Rimadyl.

I'm really sorry that I can't advise you to give him Meloxicam now, instead of the Rimadyl dose. Deb

I just wanted to thank you for your rating and the bonus; they are greatly appreciated.

Both Dr. Loretta and I wish you the best with Bandit. Regard, Deb