Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My dog licked a couple of tablespoons of castor oil in gopher

My dog licked a couple of tablespoons of castor oil in gopher spray. He is vomiting and has pretty bad diarrhea. What should I do

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

How long ago did he ingest it? Did he see a vet for the cerenia and metronidazole?

Dr. G :

If the cerenia was given as an injection, it typically takes up to 3 hours to work. If vomiting is still happening after that time, he will need other medications like Ondansetron to help the vomiting. He may also need to be given activated charcoal to help bind anything still in the GI tract. This is only available at the vet.

Customer:

He ingested the oil about 24 hours ago and he did not see a vet yet. I had the serenia and metronidizole on hand from previous GI problems

Dr. G :

I see. It is probably too late for charcoal now. Toxin ingestions need to be treated within 2 hours for most treatments to be effective. What I recommend is a trip to the vet today to get fluids and injectable medications to help with the vomiting

Customer:

He is not vomiting as much but he still has liquid diarrhea

Dr. G :

This toxin is mainly a GI irritant. The biggest thing is supportive care

Customer:

What is the "supportive care"? Does that mean the vet or is there something I can do?

Dr. G :

I think he would benefit from injectable medications for the vomiting and IV fluids to help rehydrate. I would not give anything to slow down the GI tract like immodium or pepto.

Customer:

Thank you. I will get him to the vet.

Hi Jane,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chip. How is everything going?

Dr. G