Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Can I give my dog xanax? and what is the proper dosage for

Can I give my dog xanax? and what is the proper dosage for 60 lbs?

Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Alprazolam (the trade name for Xanax) is an antianxiety medication that is used in dogs from time to time to help not only with anxiety behaviors, but also with unwanted bad behaviors.

The average dose for dogs is 0.01 to 0.05 mg per pound (0.02 to 0.1 mg/kg) given orally every 12 hours...which means a dog who is 60 pounds could get you can see, that is a very small dose...less than dosing from a human medication is almost impossible...which is why I recommend you get the medication for your dog from a vet...I'd hate for you to accidentally overdose the dog because it's so hard to scale down a human medication for dogs.

There's more information on Xanax here:

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can you answer my other dog question also...I have been waiting for almost 20 minutes..

I've seen your other question...and I haven't answered it as I don't have an idea of what might be going on. Leaving it for another expert who may have a better idea of what is going on is going to give you the best answer.

I do know that panting can be a sign of pain, but I'm not sure what might be causing the pain.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks...I have already taken him to the ER vet and back...of course he made a miraculous recovery when we got there...

Of course!!! It's amazing that sometimes just being near a clinic can cause them to get better!