Theresa
Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine
1484153

My dachshund was stung inside her mouth & the side of her face

My dachshund was stung inside her mouth & the side of her face was swollen. Then she seemed to be swelling (like cellulose) all over her legs & stomach. It began turning a red/mottled color. I then also noticed that her breathing was beginning to labor some. My wife took her to an animal clinic but I'm waiting & wondering. How serious was the dog's reaction to the bee venom?

Theresa :

It sounds like your girl had a pretty severe and potentially anaphylactic reaction. Anaphylactic reactions do have a high percentage of being fatal. Your fast action was good. She may need to stay at the hospital for a few days if they don't get an immediate response with steroids and antihistamines. Since reactions can continue for several hours after the initial incident it would be ideal to have her stay at the hospital. I would be sure to ask your vet for emergency drugs to keep on hand in the future should this happen again.