Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian

I fed a dog (large lab) a large ribeye bone and instead of

I fed a dog (large lab) a large ribeye bone and instead of taking it off to chew/gnaw on it as I expected, he just upended it and swallowed it whole (like a sword swallower).

This happened three days ago. No problems so far but I am worried. What can I do to help him?

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

Bones are one of the most common causes of gastrointestinal obstruction in dogs for the exact reason you described. This is why all vets recommend against giving them to dogs. In the case of Dobber, with it already being 3 days later, it is likely the bone has been dissolved in the stomach and will not cause any problems. If you see any vomiting or diarrhea, that is a sign the bone is still in the GI tract and will need surgical removal.

Dr. G :

I doubt you will see anything abnormal this late, however if you do I would consult your veterinarian. Please feel free to reply back if you need any further information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

P.S. So that large bone - five to six inches long just sat there in his stomach for the last three days and now it is just 'gone'!; i.e. dissolved by his stomach acids?

Should be dissolved by now. Bone doesnt last more than a couple days in a pool of acid.
Hi Richard,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dobber. How is everything going?

Dr. G
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So far so good!

Great! I am glad to hear Dobber is doing well.

Please let me know if you need any further information. If not, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you and have a great day!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your excellent response . It helped to relieve our concerns. My sister reported she stirred the dog's feces each day after it occurred to see if there was any blood in his stool, but none so far. Looks like it is goung to be fine.

Thanks for your help.