Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

Help! My dog at part of a 2x4 sponge the other day. He threw

Customer Question

Help! My dog at part of a 2x4 sponge the other day. He threw up what looked like most of what he ate that night.

Yesterday, (2-3 days later) he wouldn't eat or drink anything. I tried to give give him table food and the anell mad him throw up. He wanted nothing to do with us yesterday. Wanted to be left alone. We brought him to the vet. They did x-rays. We didn't see anything. He gave me two nausea medicines that I am giving him. I also force feed him Gatorade last night to try to fight dehydration. Didn't see him vomit or use bathroom yesterday after that. Woke up this morning and he had peed A LOT. I have him a little Gatorade which he willingly drank for about 5seconds. Now he turns his head at all food and drink again. He just vomited (yesterday looked like bile, today just clear with a couple things inside it). He is appearing better than yesterday. Instead of wanting nothing to do with me, he now whines for me to be near him. I'm hoping this is a good sign but, I have to go to work for a couple hours and I am worried.

Thank you for your time.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can. what are the names of the medications your vet gave you and when did you last give them?

Customer: Cerenia and metoclopramide. I have them both to him this morning about an hour ago
Dr. G :

Did he vomit at all while on this medication or was the vomiting before starting the medication?

Customer: He vomited stomach bile yesterday (no medicine). He also vomited this morning at least 30 minutes after medicine was given. He did not appear to throw up the medicine and I saw no stomach bile. Just bubbly watery spit and some weird looking stuff that may or may not have been part of the sponge.
Dr. G :

I see. Usually the vet will give an injection of cerenia at the office, did that happen?

Customer: No he did not. I'm not very please with my vet lately:/. And I can't really afford to go back. It cost me $300 yesterday:/. My dog did just take a sip of Gatorade then stopped. He appears to be a tiny bit better than yesterday. I am just very worried because it started affecting him 2 days after he threw the sponge up.
Customer: He did have me start giving the Veronica last night though and said continue for three days in the morning time
Customer: Cerenia* I'm sorry my phone changed that word
Dr. G :

so you gave a dose last night and one this morning?

Customer: Yes sir. And the other medicine I started today and was told to give three times a day for three days.
Dr. G :

I see. Dogs should not vomit on cerenia. If he vomits again today, there is likely a blockage somewhere in the GI tract, or there is still some sponge material in the stomach, and he will need to see a vet. He may need to be hospitalized and possibly have an exploratory surgery. Typically what I recommend doing for dogs with upset stomach is holding off food for 24 hours to let the stomach settle and let the meds do their job. After 24 hours post medication, you should start up a small amount of plain boiled white rice and plain boiled chicken breast in a 50:50 mixture. Do this for 24 hours, then go back to a regular dog food. Avoid any human food, especially dairy as human food is my most commonly seen reason for upset stomach and will often worsen an existing upset stomach.

Customer: Ok. Holding off food shouldn't be a problem. He simply will not eat. Thank you for all your help. I will try this and we will return to vet if it seems to be needed. I appreciate it!
Dr. G :

you're very welcome. I wish you the best with D-Bo. Have a great day!

Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience: Private Practice Veterinarian
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tiffani,

I'm just following up on our conversation about D-Bo. How is everything going?

Dr. G
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is doing so much better! He still won't eat his dog food. And he doesn't really like the white rice but, loves the chicken. Is there anything else light he can eat until he's ready for food again?

And I'm unsure it was the sponge now. One of our other puppies started throwing up yesterday. So I think maybe they caught a little virus. He's not nearly as bad though. I caught it way sooner this time.

And thank you so much for checking up! That is awesome!
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.
Great! I am glad to hear he is doing better. You could try brown or parboiled rice, or even plain boiled potato as a substitute. Hopefully your other pup gets over this soon.

Have a great weekend!