Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My terrier mix dog was 15 years old. She had symptoms that

Customer Question

My terrier mix dog was 15 years old. She had symptoms that concerned me (couldn't coordinate on her right side, her front paw would just fold and her hind leg was wobbly, she also lost hearing mostly in her right ear rather quickly. I took her to the emergency clinic and she had a seizure right there. She never got better, the diagnosis was brain lesion or tumor. She was heavily sedated with drugs and would cry out whenever she gained consciousness. It was crushing for me to hear her cry and nothing could sooth her. We had to put her down because there was no hope. Please explain the crying out. It haunts me and I want to understand.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry for what has happened to your precious Lucky. These signs that she was showing at first were typical neurologic signs and the fact that she had a seizure means that this has affected her Central Nervous system. This could be a benign brain tumor, more common than most people think, that has grown large enough to interfere with the function of nerves. With this condition, the prognosis is grave. There is also a possibility that Lucky may have been suffering from an Encephalitis, an infection in the Central Nervous system that could possibly be treated but often, too much damage has been done to the brain tissue that the prognosis is also grave.

I know this has haunted you to know if you have done the right thing for your precious Lucky...in most cases such as this, the symptoms will never get better and probably will get worse.

You have done the kindest thing possible for your precious Lucky bu easing his suffering. I know this is very difficult but seeing him getting worse even with treatment would have broken your heart even more.

You did all you could for your best friend and that is all you could do...if Lucky were mine, I would have had to make this decision....

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your precious Lucky!!

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you

Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX

Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I wanted to understand the behavior she displayed: crying and whimpering non stop when she awoke from her drugged state. I was not prepared for that reaction. What caused this distressing crying out?

Oh Sorry, Lynn....I did not answer your question and I apologize.

It is common for dogs, even those with no problems, to cry when coming out of the anesthesia. This is an unconscious vocalization but does not mean that Lucky was in pain...this comes from her subconscious, similar to dreaming. I often feel really bad for clients that hear this when the animal is sedated because I know they are not in pain but releasing an unconscious vocalization...I know it sounds terrible and that they are in pain but that is not the case, Lynn.

Thank you so much, Lynn for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Do not hesitate to contact me with any other concerns that you may have about poor Lucky's terrible condition. If you have other questions, please Reply.

Hi Lynn,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucky. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta