Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My 7 year old bichon cross starting limping on his front leg

My 7 year old bichon cross starting limping on his front leg a couple of days ago. He lets me touch his leg/foot without any problems. It appears to be bothering him around his foot/ankle but it's hard to tell for sure. It only seems to be affecting on leg so could it be arthritis or would that typically be in both legs? It does seem to be worse after longer periods of rest.
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear that Willy appears to be in pain. It is very possible that he is having some arthritis in just one front leg. Arthritis to affect just one joint at a time or many different joints so it is very possible that this is just arthritis. It is also possible he has suffered a mild soft tissue injury. Just like we can sprain/strain a joint dogs can easily do the same just by stepping or jumping wrong. I recommend resting him, preventing him from running, jumping, or playing for at least a week to see if he recovers. You can also try tylenol at a dose of 5 mg per pound twice daily to see if that helps with the pain and inflammation. If you do not see improvement after a week of strict rest then most likely it is arthritis in a joint. That can be confirmed by your vet with an x ray and long term arthritis medications can be discussed. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So if he's 20lbs I would give him 100mg of regular tylenol twice per day? I only have extra strength or children's, would one of those work?

Yes 100 mg of regular tylenol twice daily is her appropriate dose. yes Extra strength is 500 mg per tablet so if you can give a little less than 1/4 of a tablet twice daily that will help with the pain and inflammation.
Hi Shannon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Willy. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead