Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

my 51/2 old 12 pound poodle bit into a Bravo liquid laundry

my 51/2 old 12 pound poodle bit into a Bravo liquid laundry detergent pod. I got it out of his mouth and while removing it his tooth punctured the pod. I cleaned out his mouth with a water soaked washcloth. With as much detergent as I had in my hands, I don't think he swallowed much of it. That was about 3 hours ago and he has vomited 4 times. No sign of the green detergent in the vomit just dog food. He is drinking water well and ate his dinner. Should I do anything else?
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

You shouldn't need to do anything else here. The only thing we typically see with detergent ingestion is nausea and vomiting. We may also see a little diarrhea the following day. It sounds like he ingested a small amount and that irritated his stomach causing the vomiting. It doesn't take much to cause some irritation.

The actual chance of a toxicity is rare, so I wouldn't worry about that. If you want to give some milk, that may help settle his stomach a bit. Otherwise, just feed him normally and allow him access to water. You shouldn't really see any other issues.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Jacque,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Toby is doing fine. Just as energetic and funny as ever. Thanks for your concern.

That's great, thanks.