How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gary Your Own Question
Dr. Gary
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19293
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Gary is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my 55.9 lb pit bull was in a dog fight about 2wks

Customer Question

my 55.9 lb pit bull was in a dog fight about 2wks. ago. the vet put him on 375 mg of clavamox, 500 mg of ciprofloxacin prophalaticly -and 50 mg of tramadol for pain. he finished the antibiotics 2 days ago. we noticed a swelling on his chest yesterday and it is 2x's+ today. we took him back to the vet this am he gave us an estimate of between 435.34 - 473.34. believe the bacteria is resistant to the above antibiotics, he did not culture anything. the dog is lethargic, isn't eating that much, and the vet we took him to said he has a fever. i am concerned that if he is not now and by the time i can pay the bill (thursday) he will be septic or dead. i would like to know if erythromycin or any other human antibiotics would be safe to give him - also a couple of years ago i gave another dog some tylenol or ibuprophen but i can't remember which one i gave to the dog and which one she said never give him, can you help me? i was a RN for 20+ years but can no longer work because i have pulmonary fibrosis - i support 3 people & 1 dog on my disability check and had to take out a loan to take him to the vet but it won't be available until thursday. any help would be mega appreciated. thank you, XXXXX [email protected] XXX XXX XXXX

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like there is an abscess that formed under the skin. These are pretty common following dog bite wounds. We'll typically anesthetize them, surgically drain them and then start oral antibiotics. Something like Clavamox or even Cephalexin should be fine. The most important part is draining and flushing them out and that will need to be done as soon as you can.

If you have to wait until Thursday, that should be fine. I don't foresee him becoming septic in the mean time.

Do not give any Tylenol or Ibuprofen. Those are both toxic to dogs. Stick with Tramadol if needed for pain.

Related Dog Questions