Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have bred dogs and shown dogs for 20 years.
60411192

My concern is more of a behavioral issue rather than a health

My concern is more of a behavioral issue rather than a health concern. I have a 4-year-old female Chug (mother is a Pug, father is a Chihuahua) named Sophie. She is such a bundle of personality.....loves everyone and everyone loves her! However, she does have one little thing than concerns me. Sophie has an unnatural affection for some of her stuffed toys, particularly a pig and a dog we like to call "Boyfriend" for obvious reasons. Every night Sophie corrals Boyfriend on the sofa and starts humping him to beat the band. In a way, it's comical, but it's beginning to concern me because she seems to get into a frenzy whenever she's doing this. I've read some things that say it's a dominance issue for her, and for that reason I won't let her do it on or near me, but it's very frequent, and like I said, she gets quite excited. I've never known of a girl dog doing this. Is this something I need to be concerned about, or is it normal?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Sophie. While we typically think of mounting as being exclusively male behavior, females can engage in it as well and it's perfectly normal behavior.
There are several different reasons why dogs will hump or mount:

1. Anxiety
2. Sexual
3. Dominance
4. Play
5. Self-soothing

I suspect that this is sexual for Sophie since she consistently humps the one "toy".

I wouldn't be concerned about it myself, but if it bothers you, then preventing access to her Boyfriend should solve the problem.

I had a neutered, male cat some years ago who did the same thing but only to one particular toy. It didn't matter if that toy had been out of his sight for months, as soon as we took it down from the shelf where we kept it, he would mount it....and I have to admit that it was pretty amusing:)

I hope this helps.

Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have bred dogs and shown dogs for 20 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess I should have told you that she has been spayed. Does this make a difference as to whether her motivation is sexual?

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Pam:
Sorry but I meant to include this in my answer...... It doesn't matter whether she has been spayed or not just like it doesn't matter with males whether they've been altered or not.
Dogs can still masturbate even though they've been spayed/neutered and they frequently do! So if this is sexual for her, then this is probably what she's doing (I hope you don't mind me saying so offensive) Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Pam:
I just wanted to thank you for the rating; it's greatly appreciated:) Regards, Deb