Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

Hello, I have a 17 year old dachshund who has been experiencing

I have a 17 year old dachshund who has been experiencing some pretty regular constipation for around 6 months or so. Recently though it have become more of an issue. He has had several impacted bowels. When he's trying to pass them, a lot of mucus and some blood comes out. On a normal day he seems to be taking a long time to use the bathroom (although he's never really been fast) and he often starts to cry to come inside but yet he's still straining to pass the stool.

He's urinating regularly and is drinking plenty of water. We feed him dry dog food (Iam's Premium for Dog's 11+).

He has vomited the last 4 mornings. It literally woke him up out of a sleep and he started throwing up. Two mornings nothing came out. The other two mornings it was unchewed food. To be honest I don't remember him eating in the middle of the night, but it's very possible that he did while I was sleeping.

He also is "smacking" his lips a lot. Not like a dog normal does when they are getting food. The only way I know how to describe is: it's like when someone is cold and their teeth chatter. That's exactly what he does but it only lasts for a couple of seconds. A few months he got VERY sick and we took him to an emergency vet where he did the same thing. She said dogs do that when they have an upset stomach.

1) What do you think is going on?
2) Should we change his food (or start adding water to it)? If so, to what?
3) Is there a supplement that we can give him or medicine like a stool softener to help his system?

He had blood work done a few months ago and they said they are impressed with how well he is doing for his age. We regularly take him for acupuncture to help out with the typical dachshund spine issues. He has trouble walking on hard floors (he loses his balance a lot) but that has been a more recent thing as well. Other than that, he's normally still a very playful and affectionate dog.

This just has us very concerned because he's been acting so lethargic and it's distressing him so much. Thank you in advance for your help with our pup!
Hi there and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. The lip smacking and chattering teeth can be a sign of nausea. Older dogs, many times, will develop sensitive stomachs, and the motility (movement) of the intestines can decrease. To help your dog you can try giving Pepcid A/C 10mg tablets, 1/4 tablet twice daily. That is antacid that can help. For the constipation, I would give 1/4 teaspoon of Miralax powder mixed with either food or water once daily. If it does not help enough, you can increase to twice daily. That can help soften stool and increase intestinal motility. Discuss all these things with your vet first, of course. Hope this helps... these seem like normal aging problems that we just need to learn to manage to keep your dog happy. You can also try a prescription diet through your vet... There are several options for prescription diets for sensitive stomachs. W/D is the name of the diet I would recommend. It is high in fiber and gentle on the stomach. Best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much! For right now would you recommend feeding him beef and rice until he stops throwing up in the morning? Or just start with the medicine right away?

You can start the medication right away, but I would feed boiled lean ground beef mixed with white rice for a few days in small meals until the vomiting stops. Every time your dog vomits, I would withhold food and water for the next six hours. Hope this helps! Best of luck.
Hi Kim,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Peanuts. How is everything going?

Ann M.