Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

my dog was at the vet today. they put an IV in and left the

my dog was at the vet today. they put an IV in and left the cannula in so that he can return tomorrow, but I've decided that we are not going tomorrow, and I'd like to remove the cannula. My question--can I just remove it and apply pressure? or is there anything else involved in removing it?
Hello there. My name isXXXXX you can just remove the cannula itself. Just by removing the tape that is holding it in then apply gentle pressure for a few minutes and she should be good to go. If it continues to bleed or ooze a little bit you can place a cotton ball over it and wrap it firmly but not too tight for about an hour then remove the wrap. I hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your quick response!

You are very welcome