How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. G. Your Own Question
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 1896
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how much mouse poison (Difethialone) does a dog need to ingest

This answer was rated:

how much mouse poison (Difethialone) does a dog need to ingest to poison him?
My dog who weighs 10 lbs found a plastic bait box and chewed alittle of both ends.(The bait is tucked into the middle of the box) I only saw alittle poison in the one opening. So I can't be sure how much he got.

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

how long ago did this happen?

Customer:

About 3 hours ago

Dr. G :

I see. did your dog vomit at all yet?

Dr. G :

did your dog vomit at all yet?

Dr. G :

The toxic dose for a dog is 0.02mg/kg

Customer:

No

Dr. G :

your dog weighs about 5 kg

Customer:

yes

Dr. G :

I would probably start up vitamin K1

Dr. G :

he will need 5mg daily for 4 weeks

Customer:

where would I get that?

Dr. G :

you can try a pharmacy like CVS or a health foods store, your vet would have it for sure or another vet hospital in the area that is open.

Dr. G :

ideally in the future, any toxin exposure should be treated within two hours with the induction of vomiting and by your vet giving activated charcoal

Customer:

I've tried all the vet offices first and no one is open! Do you think whole foods would have it?

Customer:

should I also take him to my vet on Monday?

Dr. G :

they may have it at whole foods

Customer:

How serious is this. Should I stay home tonight to monitor him?

Dr. G :

Bloodwork shows changes after 72 hours, so no need to go to the vet since it has been this long, I would just start up the vitamin K. You dont really need to stay home to monitor him, just keep him crated so he stays out of trouble

Customer:

I will! We have an older dog (cockapoo) who has never gotten into anything! Both our dogs came from a rescue and they're as sweet as can be.

Dr. G :

The things you would be looking for are associated with bleeding, so any blood in the stool or any large bruises would warrant a visit to the vet

Customer:

But Simon is a little devil!

Dr. G :

As long as you start up the vitamin K, I would not expect any problems. Some dogs like your simon like to eat everything toxic, so be very careful in the future!

Customer:

Thank you so much! I'll start him on it before we go out.

Dr. G :

you're very welcome. I wish you the best with Simon. Have a great day!

Customer:

thanks!

Dr. G. and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions