Dr. G.
Dr. G., Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

i tnink my dog ate a rhododendrin plant or part of it--he had

i tnink my dog ate a rhododendrin plant or part of it--he had some diarrhea yesterday--none today--but will not eat today. What can or should I do?

Dr. G :

Hello, my name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Dr. G :

Did you see your dog eat this plant or was there some missing?

Dr. G :

And when did he eat it?

Customer:

he chewed off a branch the day before yesterday

Customer:

are you still there?

Dr. G :

I see. At this point, there is nothing that can be done about that ingestion. With any toxic substance, treatment is necessary as soon as possible. Since it happened a couple days ago, and is not showing signs: acute digestive upset, excessive drooling, loss of appetite, frequent bowel movements/diarrhea, colic, depression, weakness, loss of coordination, stupor, leg paralysis, weak heart rate and recumbency; it is likely that there is not enough toxin to cause any danger. Since your dog does chew off branches, it is most likely he has an upset stomach from something he ate, and not an actual problem with a toxin. I recommend holding off on any food for the next 24 hours. You can give a tablet of famotidine (pepcid AC) to help reduce stomach acid and help with the upset stomach. After waiting 24 hours, I would begin feeding small amounts of plain white rice for 24 hours, then going back to normal food

Dr. G :

if there is still no improvement, then he should see the vet

Customer:

thank you so much

Dr. G :

you're very welcome. I wish you the best with Fiddle. Have a great weekend!

Hi Nancy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Fiddle. How is everything going?

Dr. G