Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

my dog was shave on his neck for a "hot spot" and is being

my dog was shave on his neck for a "hot spot" and is being treated with cephalexin. today there is spreading erythema in the neck area - looks like a cellulitis. He's been swimming in our pool as recently as yesterday. What antibiotic would you recommend empirically (BTW, I am an adult ID MD)
Hello there! My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Moose. Cephalexin is appropriate for hot spots and the most common skin infections. I would definitely not allow him to swim anymore with the hot spot or suspected cellulitis. Fluoroquinolones works great in dogs if cephalosporins are not doing the trick. Ciprofloxacin at a dose of 5mg/per pound QD is the recommended dose. Also prednisone at 1 mg per pound tapered is good to use in suspected cellulitis cases also. Otherwise keep the area as clean and dry as possible. I hope this helps and I hope Moose feels better very soon.