Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

my 8 lb dog ate a 200mg motrin yesterday without my knowledge

my 8 lb dog ate a 200mg motrin yesterday without my knowledge unti my aunt told me today she is vomiting more yesteday then today. there was a little blood in her vomit for the first time about an hour ago and i cant get to the vets til morning what should i do?
Hello there! My name isXXXXX and I am very sorry to hear about Bonne. That much motrin is definitely very concerning because it can cause severe kidney damage so getting her to the vet tomorrow is definitely a good idea. They will need to run blood work and see if her kidneys have been damaged. but you are also seeing the external effects of it. It causes stomach upset. So giving pepto is good as it will settle her tummy some but you can also give 1/4 tablet of pepcid or a 1/4 tablet of prilosec which will help decrease acid production in her tummy and that will help settle her down even more. The blood you are seeing is most likely just irritation from the vomiting itself but the motrin can cause ulcers so the pepcid or prilosec will help with that. Make sure she is drinking though because you don't want her dehydrated as that will cause even more kidney damage. So pedialyte is good and just normal water also is good.
Hi Windy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bonne. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead