Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

can i give my dog sulfameth/trimethoprim 800/160 tabs/ He

can i give my dog sulfameth/trimethoprim 800/160 tabs/ He weight, 70lbs. He also has heart worms. His urain is dark. Morning urain shows blood this moring.
Thank you,
Hi there and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. First, is your dog neutered? Has your dog been treated for heartworm disease or is he currently on heartworm preventative?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he is neutered. He has heart worms. his is not being treated. we have known that he has heartworms for 3 yrs.

Okay. Neutered male dogs simply do not get urinary tract infections, so the antibiotics will not help anything. (Also, we try to avoid that antibiotic when possible because it can cause some long term side effects in dogs.) The more likely causes of blood in urine in a dog that age (which are all unrelated to heartworms) would be bladder stones, bladder cancer, or prostate cancer. Unfortunately, none of those causes of the blood in the urine would be helped by antibiotics and there isn't much you can do about any of those issues at home. You can try giving one adult aspirin every 12 hours and see if that helps make him feel better, but other than that, there isn't much that can be done at home. I am sorry! Hope the aspirin helps your dog. I would not give the antibiotics. Best of luck, and take care.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I knew this was to came just don't want to give him up. I am a widow and live on my ss. My Sam is my friend.

Thank you.

That must be so hard. I am so sorry to hear that. I will say a prayer for your Sam that he will feel better with the aspirin. Take care, and please remember to rate my service. Best of luck.