Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We have a very active 4year old GSP and a very mellow 10 year

We have a very active 4year old GSP and a very mellow 10 year old lab/golden mix. They are best of friends mostly because he lets her do whatever she wants. We have a large house and a backyard. We are considering a new pup, and fell in love with a labradoodle. Anything you can tell us to make this happen with a positive outcome. We have had a number of well adjusted dogs in the past, and don't want to upset the apple cart.... Or, do you think this is not a good match?
Hello. Thanks for writing in.

Are they generally good with interactions with other dogs at and away from your household?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, they interact at the doggie park often. The GSP mostly runs until she it tired out, and will sniff other dogs appropriately unless they are aggressive, then she might take a stand. The older dog mostly minds his business, but will bark up a storm if he thinks she is having a problem, he just barks though
Thanks for the information. If they are generally friendly with other dogs, there is no reason to believe they won't get along with a new puppy. In fact, a new puppy may play more with the 4 year old and let the 10 year old rest a little more. My advice would be to let them meet the new puppy on neutral ground first, then do a "play date" at your house first to see how it goes. In most cases, the older dogs become protective of the younger one. I did forget to ask if both the older dogs were spayed and/or neutered. If not, that may be the biggest problem because they tend to be more territorial. I think a younger puppy would be more impressionable and easier for the older dogs to get along with than an older puppy. They tend to be more set in their ways. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.