Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

14 yr old Shizu, Lhasa, poodle mix has been sneezing a lot

14 yr old Shizu, Lhasa, poodle mix has been sneezing a lot last few months suddenly. About 6 weeks ago sneezed up blood. Took her to vet and got x-ray and blood work -all is fine but put her on antibiotics for 2wks. Was off those for a few days and sneezed up blood again. Was told only option is ct scan of nasal cavity. Took her to walk in vet clinic after sneezing up more a week later. Was told same thing and more antibiotics. Off those now for 2days and suddenly this morn her bark is so hoarse it has to be hurting-- very concerned. Can't afford ct scan, your thoughts??
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

What state do you live in?

Have they suggested an exploratory with an endoscope?

Does Lizzy spend a lot of time sniffing in grass?

Before the blood...did she have any discharge from her nose?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I live in Wisconsin. No they have not suggested an endoscopy. Yes she does like to sniff in the grass. Also has been pooping a lot lately and once did find a little blood in stool. Dr didn't seem too worried about that. It was bright red. Stools are fine according to him. Don't recall seeing any discharge from nose except for when should would sneeze, then just a little.
Thanks so much for answering my questions. I really appreciate it.

With a geriatric dog like Lizzy, I worry about 2 different things:

My first thought is that she might have a piece of grass or other foreign object in her nasal passage. It sounds like Lizzy always leads with her nose , and it's really, really common for them to get a stray piece of grass or twig stuck in their noses. From the sound of her symptoms, it's possible that she's got the grass far enough into her nasal cavity that it's irritating the nasal passage and triggering the bloody sneezes.

My second thought is that it could be a problem with her teeth. It's super common for us to see dogs who have "nose" issues, and once the dog is good and sedated where we can get a good look in the mouth, we find out that it's actually a dental issue. Once the offending teeth are cleaned and/or extracted, the bloody nose clears up.

The other thought...unfortunately, since she is geriatric, is the possibility of something like a nasal tumor. Normally we would see this on the blood work..however, if she's only recently had the tumor, it could be too small to see at this point.

Since CTs are a bit more expensive than an endoscope (where they use a little camera on a flexible tube to look inside the nasal passages) you might want to talk to your vet about this being an option.

I'm not sure where you are in WI, but I know the University of MN in the Twin Cities has a great vet school with lots of asking your vet about whether Lizzy should have a referral to them.

I understand that you(like so many other people) are in a hard financial spot right now. There are some organizations that might be able to help. If you'll follow these links: ,, you'll find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free exams and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. If you'll follow this link: , you can see if there is one in your area.

I hope this helps!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I doubt it would be grass since the sneezing started while it was winter here. Still wondering how this would affect her bark so suddenly though. Thank you for your time.
If it started this winter, then it's probably not the case.

It affects her bark, just like how when we have colds, our voices get hoarse or cracky. It's the same issue with her...if she's having an irritation in her nose, then it's probably affecting her throat.