Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years

Hi I just notced that my spaniels nose is turning pink. Ive

I just notced that my spaniel's nose is turning pink. I've heard its not a good thing but don't know why. Please advise.
Please don't respond with live chat. I'm using my phone.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a skin and ear vet for 35 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Depigmentation of the nose can be from somethnig simple like rooting under things with the nose to autoimmune diseases. Your vet will be in the best position to determine the cause. If it is a traumatic issue, then you will have to change the dog's behaviors in some way to keep him from rubbing his nose on the ground or a door. If it is an autoimmune disease, like pemphigus or discoid lupus, then steroids may be needed. A biopsy of the area between the black and pink areas will let a pathologist characterize the cause of the depigmentation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't see any trauma to his nose. Its the whole nose changing color.

It can be only small areas, but it can also be the whole nose. Sometimes there are diseases where it is a seasonal pattern and the pigment comes back without any treatment as in a condition called Dudley nose.
Hi Heidi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ninja. How is everything going?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf