Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Owner of a small animal clinic and an ear/skin clinic 35 years

My dog pants heavily and his nose drips clear. Is this a food

My dog pants heavily and his nose drips clear. Is this a food allergy?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Hi. I'm Dr. Gotthelf. I have been a skin and ear vet for 35 years and I would like to use my experience to help you with your pet's medical problem.

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

I seriously doubt that this is a food allergy. Panting heavily usually indicates that the dog is hot and is trying to blow off heat from his lungs and tongue. If he is having breathing problems, then a chest X-ray may be needed. A dripp nose, especially if it is clear may indicate an overproduction of tears in the eyes or an upper respiratory infection. None of these symptoms are consistent with a food allergy which shows up in the dog as either a skin problem or a diarrhea type of disease.

He is salivating as well. i guess this comes with panting?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf :

Yes. You can take his rectal temperature and see if it is above 102.5 F. A fever can cause panting and a runny nose.

He sometimes feels hot in places. But it is ongoing. Is it possible that he gets fever often?

Hi Coty,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tate. How is everything going?

Dr. Louis Gotthelf