Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My 9 year old Newfoundland injured her neck last year and has

My 9 year old Newfoundland injured her neck last year and has had hind leg weakness ever since. This morning she woke up and was limping as well on the same leg that she has had some toe dragging on. Should I wait a few days until her scheduled vet appt to get her looked at? She is on Deramaxx daily and has had 3 surgeries on the stifle joint in that leg as well (6 yrs ago). She is less heat tolerant now and pants a great deal more lately.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is feeling so poorly. It's always tough when dogs get to be much can be affecting them, and yet they have no way to tell us what is going on with them. When you add to it the fact that Daisy has a pre-existing neck injury, and it makes it even more concerning.

The 'knuckling over' that you describe sounds more like a neurological (nerve) problem than a leg injury. Older dogs tend to get communication problems between the limbs and the brain. This happens because the nerves in the spinal canal can be injured or simply decide that they're done they don't transmit the proper signals to keep the paws in the normal position they're supposed to be. Since she did hurt her neck last year, it's not hard to imagine that the injury has gotten more involved, and could be pinching nerves or impinging on tendons, causing her to limp and drag that paw.

If Daisy were my girl, I don't think I'd wait for that next appointment to take her back to her regular vet...I'd call them today and request that they take a radiograph of her spine...perhaps there is a disc protruding and impinging on the spinal column or something like arthritis causing this limping...that could be a possible cause of the 'miscommunication' in the nerves.

If that all comes back negative, it might be time to ask for a referral to a veterinary neurologist. Not only will they be able to figure out what is causing the leg weakness in her limbs and will be able to get her on medication that may take care of the pain more than her current medication plan of Deramaxx.

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Her next appt is actually only a few days away on Tuesday. I think I will wait the next few days and let her rest up a little. I did check to see her response time when I flipped her toes over and she flipped them back immediately so she is still aware of her foot placement. I am a little afraid of the fact that the leg with all the problems is the stifle she had 3 surgeries on over 5 yrs ago. Thanks for your help. Also, she was on Tramadol during her surgical recovery but it caused her to attack everyone and growl at the wall. She is not arching her neck or showing any other signs of pain but I will call the vet today.
Tramadol can absolutely cause that increase in aggressive behavior. Hopefully a little rest will help.
Hi Christine,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Daisy. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Daisy is slowly not limping except when she gets up from sleeping all night. I kept her quiet and made sure she took her anti inflamm (deramax). She is still a little unsteady but she is not limping. She has had a slight foot drag on that side since she had knee surgery years ago and that is still there. She is in good spirits too. After 2 days of being miserable she is insisting on a walk up and down the driveway. I used her waist sling for 2 days too for stairs, which she did not like. So far so good. Her semi annual vet appt is coming this week but it is starting to look like she is healing up nicely. Thanks so much for the follow up