Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My daughters dog, a collie/beagle cross aged we are told 4

My daughters dog, a collie/beagle cross aged we are told 4 and a half months, has been smelling strange for a few days and has just passed a small amount of blood stained mucus which has a strong smell. I have posted a question before about her when my Lhasa apso male started showing a keen interest in her. I understand that this age is too young to be in season but I'm wondering whether she may be older. She has not passed anything since and seems ok but I'm concerned as my Lhasa is too young to be neutered yet. Do you think this could be season or an infection of some sort.
Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gill Barker,.

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

.

I need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your responses, it will likely take 30-40 minutes to type my response. I hope you can be patient.

Are you sure this bloody mucous came from the vulva?

How old is the male dog?

Where did you get the female from?

Does she have diarrreah?

How long have you had her?

Did the vet tell you how old she was approximately or someone else?

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I'm absolutely certain it came from the vulva. The male dog is 4 months old.My daughter bought the dog from some breeders - I wouldn't have bought from them but it was a 'done deal' before I got involved. They didn't seem sure about her origin as she looks to me like a collie/Basset cross rather than the beagle my daughter was told. She doesn't have diarrhoea although her stools are softer than usual. My daughter has had her for 2 moths - shes staying with me at the moment as my daughters is finding it hard to cope with her. The age came from the breeder - the vet didn't disagree.
Thanks for responding.
Gill
Gill,.Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. I have one more question. Does her vulva appear to be larger than normal even if just a little?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is a little like a small tulip!

Gill,

.

Thanks for that last bit of information. Since there is the start of swelling, it is likely she is a little older than you thought and in heat.

.

Most vets rely on the owner to let them know the pups age. If asked to verify age, they would check the teeth to get a general idea of how old the pup is but at certain times, it can be difficult to determine the pups age. You can read about this here:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/teeth2.htm

.

If the vet was not asked to verify age, he would assume the age given was correct unless there was clear evidence otherwise. So it is likely she is either a little older than you were told or she is entering estrus early. Though there is a third possibility. Since the urethra is so close to the vulva, it may have come from there as well.

.

Let me go over the heat cycle just in case you are not fully informed on it. Female Dogs go into heat at any time between 6-12 months usually. The average heat cycle for a dog is approximately 3 weeks but for some dogs it is longer and for others it is shorter. Some as short as 10 days and some as long as 4 weeks or more. Usually your dog will go into heat every 6-7 months though again each dog is different and can go back into heat as early as 4 months or not for 12 months. Most however are average.

.

During the first part of a dogs heat period you will notice swelling of the vulva, possibly an increase in urination and bleeding. If there are male dogs around you will notice them hanging around her. This stage generally last about 7 days and she will not allow males to mate with her during this period

.

The second part of the heat cycle is when she will accept a male and breed. Usually a female will lift her tail out of the way. Usually bleeding has stopped or become straw colored at this point. This can last from 4 to 21 days though the average is 7 days. Many expert say the 9-10th day of heat is the optimum day for breeding. It is during this period of time that you will want to allow mating if you wish puppies which I'm assuming you do not want to do.

.

During the last stage of heat she will be less willing to breed as she is going out of heat. This stage can again last from 4 to 21 days as well but averages 7 days. Each dog is different so some evaluation by the owner is necessary. The whole heat period should be approximately 21 days but as stated can be longer or shorter depending on the dog. Here is an excellent website with pictures to illustrate a female in different stages of heat.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breedingheat.htm

.

Now a urinary tract infection can produce some blood tinged mucous as well. You would usually notice other symptoms such as increased urination and excessive thirst, but a dog going into heat might have these same symptoms as well. You can usually discover the source of the blood by taking a white napkin and opening the vulva slightly and blotting the area. Depending on where the blood is on the napkin should enable you to determine if there is blood from the vulva or the urethra.

.

It is more likely to be that she is in heat. I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms. http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for this - its very helpful. I am assuming that my 4 month old Lhasa is not mature enough to do any 'damage' - is this correct?
Thanks
Gill,.That is correct. Male dogs usually become sexually mature around 7 months of age but can vary a month or so earlier but at 4 months you should be safe.
Experience: Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 16+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Hi Gill,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Madeline. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jane - thanks for helping me - I took Madeline to the vet and it turned out she had an infection. Her temperature was very high and they gave her an antibiotic injection and a course of tablets. Shes much better now - my daughter has booked her male dog in to be neutered this week so at least its achieved that much!
Gill
You are welcome. I'm glad she'll be ok.