Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 15 y-old dog is on Metvedin and Diuretics. His cognitive

My 15 y-old dog is on Metvedin and Diuretics. His cognitive disorder is now causing him to pace fast every night between 1:00 and 5:30 with brief pauses of 5 minutes only. Selegilinhydrochlorid does not relax him to sleep. Is the use of a low dosage of ACE a viable solution? Thanks.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

With these signs, it does sound like a mild sedative would be a good idea at night to help him sleep. I would try something like Acepromazine or Clomicalm.

Acepromazine is safe to give at lower dosages with dogs that have heart disease. It lowers the blood pressure as a side effect, but with lower dosages you shouldn't get too much in the way of hypotension.

I would start ~ 2.5-5 mg and then go up from there if needed.

The other thing you could try is some Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). You can give anywhere from 1-2 mg per lb body weight as needed to give some mild sedation.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.