Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My Dachshund has been having intestinal problems. In Dec she

My Dachshund has been having intestinal problems. In Dec she was vomiting blood and had a bloody stool with severe abdominal pain. She had the same recurring problem about three weeks ago.
Yesterday I found a black horn shaped growth close to her front leg.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It's not uncommon for dogs to have signs of vomiting/ diarrhea due to many underlying issues. The shock organ in dogs is the gut, so anything that increases stressors in the body can manifest as vomiting/ diarrhea.

Here is a general treatment approach when signs develop:
1. Withhold food and water until he goes 6-8 hours without vomiting
2. Give over the counter Pepcid AC (Famotidine) at a dose of 0.25 mg per lb every 12-24 hours
3. After the fasting period you can try either a bland diet of broiled chicken/ hamburger and rice. If not available, you can just give small frequent meals (3-4 meals/day rather than 1-2 meals/day). If any diarrhea is noted, you can also give 1-2 teaspoons of canned pumpkin with the meals. The extra fiber helps firm up loose stool and promote normal colon motility.
4. This will usually resolve the signs in 2-3 days if a non-specific gastroenteritis.

The horn growth on the leg may be a keratinized growth. These are typically benign and they almost feel like a paw pad or nail. They can often be removed surgically with a local anesthetic and most of the time they do not re-grow.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In researching the internet it indicates her symptoms could be cancer. Do you have an opinion on that? I am very concerned about her as she is getting older and developing problems she has never experienced before.

Cancer can present a number of ways. It really depends on what type of cancer you're talking about. There are some intestinal cancers and lymphoma that can result in vomiting/ diarrhea. I don't think that is what you're dealing with here though.