Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

my dog keeps shaking and scratching his right ear. I took him

my dog keeps shaking and scratching his right ear. I took him to my vet . she gave me drops. the first bottle was a knock down drag out fight to use on him and after the first use he found the hiding place and chewed up the bottle. So i bought another. this one I used. Frito, still kept shaking his head and scratching. My vet checked for ear mites etc. nothing found. she said he does have a bad ear wax issue and gave me a bottle of ear wash. (he doesn't like this either but we are doing it) this has been a couple of weeks now and I am not seeing any improvement. Can you think of anything we are missing? I am afraid to use a q tip on him. I know you can do serious damage to a person with one.So I'm using cotton balls soaked in the ear wash. Do you think if I took him to a groomer that they would clean his ears out? hes a Plott hound. a huge one lol. about 90 lbs. I cant stand to see him so uncomfortable. any ideas?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

You should absolutely call around to the groomers. I know here in my town, there are some who will clean ears and some who won't, so calling around to see if anyone in your area does is worth the try.

You could also ask your vet if they offer ear flushing. This involves using a sedative to make the dog sleepy, and then using a special instrument attached to the water tap to shoot water down into the ear canal and then suction to suck it back out. It does an amazingly good job of cleaning out those ears.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much !! I will call our vet in the morning to see if she will do the flushing or recommend someone who can do the ear wax cleaning.
You're very welcome!! I'm happy to help!!