Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

after a male dog is neutered should they still get eractions

after a male dog is neutered should they still get eractions and act aroused?? this is especially apparent first thing in the morning, the dog is a 2 yr old border collie who was neutered early in his life.
Hi JaCustomer,

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

A male dog can still get erections and even attempt to mate. Some male dogs neutered after they are already sexually mature have even actually mounted females and attempted to mate. However, because he has been neutered, he can not sire pups. He will still get erections and even hump items or female dogs. It is perfectly normal.
Now if this is a recent issue and he is licking his penis more often or the penis becomes stuck outside of the covering, those might indicate other issues. Please respond if your dog has additional symptoms such as excessive licking, more frequent urination, increase thirst or if you think his penis may become stuck outside the covering.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.