Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My dog had surgery last Thursday to remove a small growth (the

My dog had surgery last Thursday to remove a small growth (the size of a pea) on the outside toe of her right rear foot. It is being results yet. She hasn't bothered the site much at all since we took the bandages off after 24 hrs as instructed by the vet. We think she may have pulled a stitch out today though. The site is not bleeding, but looks redder than it was this morning and is puffy. There is an small indentation where the lump was removed and no stitch is there. There is still a stitch below that area.

How should we treat it? The vet said on Thursday we are not to allow her foot to get wet at all, but to clean it with hydrogen peroxide if needed. Now I see on many sites that you should never put peroxide on a wound like this b/c it is damaging to the cells. We're thinking of putting Neosporin on it, bandaging it up lightly (we have not had it bandaged, also per vet instructions) and watching it overnight to see if swelling/redness go down. The extreme would be taking her to an emergency animal clinic or back to the vet who did the surgery in the morning. I'd rather not do either of those, but don't want infection to set in.

I am confused what the right thing is to do. Help please!

Thank you,
Amy Toney
Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.
I am not that concerned about 1 stitch popping out. As long as the other sutures are still intact. Unless you are concerned about a scar. If she is a show dog, then you may want to have the wound re-sutured in the morning to lessen the appearance of a scar.
The peroxide can kill the small blood vessels, or capillaries, over the wound. The best thing to use, to clean it, is betadine. It is a good antibacterial skin cleanser that you will find in the first aid aisle of the drug store or grocery store. Clean the wound three times a day. Allow it to dry. Then, apply the neosporin three times a day as well.
If she is licking the wound, she could remove the sutures and cause infection. So if you see her licking it, I would buy a plastic cone collar at the pet store. Make sure it extends past the tip of her nose.
It does not sound like an emergency to me.
If it starts to bleed, put pressure and ice on the wound for 20 minutes.
It will heal faster if it is left open. If you think she may lick it overnight, or the pet stores are closed so you can not buy a plastic cone collar, then I would put a light wrap on it. You can use telfa non-stick pads, gauze, and non-stick tape. You will find all of those supplies in the first aid aisle as well. Do not leave the bandage on for more than 24 hours. If you do, the drainage will be stuck in the bandage and keep the wound wet. This is likely to cause infection.
If the wound has a foul odor, drainage that is thick, or colored, or the are becomes red and warm then she needs a prescription of oral antibiotics.
A little bloody drainage is normal. But it should not smell like anything but blood.
I hope this helps.
If you have additional questions, please click "reply."
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Dr. Gabby,

Not sure if this got to you b/c my computer is acting crazy so I'm sending it again.

First, thank you for the quick response and detailed answer. We had a laugh at the idea of Gracie being a show dog. We think she's beautiful, but she is hardy ready for competition :-) My husband just got back from the store with Betadine. We'll follow the advice you gave to clean the wound with that, put Neosporin on it then wrap it lightly.

One last question, Gracie was prescribed Temaril-P last week for an ear infection. Is that a med that would fight off any infection in her foot if one were trying to start?

Thanks again for the help,
No, I did not get your response until you typed it again. Sorry.
Temaril-P contains an antihistamine and prednisone which is a steroid.
It does not help fight infection at all.
In fact high doses of prednisone can suppress the immune system.
But as long as you follow the recommended directions for the temaril-p, the amount of prednisone she receives should not affect her immune system.
Tell Gracie she has had enough vet visits for now and she is not to develop any other problems for a while.
You are welcome Amy and Gracie Smile

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gracie. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr. Gabby,

I'm going through past emails after being out-of-town with almost no connectivity for several days...just saw this! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Thank you for following up to check on Gracie. I am happy to say we followed your advice for cleaning/wrapping and Gracie has healed up perfectly. She had all stitches removed last Thursday and got a clean bill of health, by the way...all cysts removed were benign. We were so relieved. Thank you for your help when we didn't know what to do for her!

Amy Toney

Hi Amy,
I am so glad she is all better.
Now you know what to do if it ever happens again.
Thanks for letting me know.