Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog got into some trash day before yesterday. Do not know

My dog got into some trash day before yesterday. Do not know exactly what all she ate. She threw up yesterday and has been lethargic today but no more throw up. How long should I wait til I seek out a vet. She has been sipping water.
Hi Sir or Madam,

My name isXXXXX've professionally worked with animals for over 16 years dealing with both health and behavioral issues. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your responses, it will likely take 30-40 minutes to type my response. I hope you can be patient.

Is she eating or not?

Is she defecating normally?

What was in the vomit?

Did it smell like fecal matter?

Is she responsive?

Are her gums pink like normal or pale?

Are her gums moist or tacky?

Was there spoiled food in the garbage or more plastic and paper items?

does she ingest non food items? .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is she eating or not? Not yet.

Is she defecating normally? She did yesterday.A bit soft None today.

What was in the vomit? Bile

Did it smell like fecal matter? NO

Is she responsive? Yes just really tired.

Are her gums pink like normal or pale? Pink. Tongue is a bit pale.

Are her gums moist or tacky? moist

Was there spoiled food in the garbage or more plastic and paper items? It was food from that night

does she ingest non food items? . She has eaten plastic before did not notice any this time.

Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. The first thing you need to do is put a drop or two of karo syrup or pancake syrup on her tongue to get her blood sugar levels back up. Any time a small dogs stops eating, they can develop hypoglycemia which may be what is happening here. you can read about hypoglycemia here:

While dogs are more able to eat food that is turned, they can still develop food poisoning. You can read more on food poisoning here:

The soft stool could be from the ingestion of the trash, but the vomiting of bile is usually due to not eating or excess bile. It could be from the ingestion of bad food as well. It can lead to dehydration. You can check this by lifting the skin between your dog’s shoulder blades and if it stays tented or is slow to return to normal position, your dog is dehydrated and needs to be seen by your Vet so fluids can be given.

You might try having fasting her for 6-12 hours to give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then you would feed a small portion of bland food such as boiled chicken and rice. . If they keep that down then slowly increase amount and frequency. You might also try some pepcid about 45 minutes before feeding. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

Now if she has already been not eating for 12 hours, I'd try giving the syrup, and pepcid. Allow that 45 minutes or so to work and then offer some boiled chicken and rice. Only offer a small amount and then wait to see if she keeps it down. If she does, then you can offer a little more every half hour or so for a couple of hours. If she does well, then you can gradually switch her back over to her normal food.

If you can not get her eating again, or she starts vomiting up the food and continues with diarrhea OR is unable to defecate, you will want to have her seen. If she actually ingested a non food item, she might stop eating, would likely have vomiting and an inability to defecate which would indicate an intestinal obstruction. You can read about this below.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may click here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.